Sunday

Spirit Journeys Workshop #2

Being a San Diego native, I have found myself longing for the Ocean as of late so I thought I would base this months workshop off of a Mermaid treasure, Ocean theme! This project will be something light and fun, like a beautiful day at the beach! Nothing to complicated just a little creative lighthearted fun. You could of course use the box to store your special mermaid treasures, I decided to make mine into a Treasure Dream Box. I am going to fill mine with all of the goals and dreams I would like to happen for 2009. You could also fill it with prayers or even a bunch of your favorite quotes and affirmations and than choose one each morning to start your day. I am happy to showcase your beautiful creations when you are done, just send me an email with a link to your project to share with all of us. Enjoy!

THE NEXT SPIRIT JOURNEYS WORKSHOP WILL BE 23 FEBRUARY 2009!


Who would be
A mermaid fair,
Singing alone,
Combing her hair
Under the sea,
In a golden curl
With a comb of pearl,
On a throne?

By Afred Lord Tennyson 1830

Step 1: Gather all of your treasure together, seashells, sea glass, river rocks, gemstones, crystals, driftwood, glitter, whatever you would like to add to decorate your box with. I chose a small wooden rounded top chest that was very inexpensive from the craftstore. You may already have a perfect box at your home right now. For the top of my box I used a product that you can purchase at your local hardware store-it is called Premixed Adhesive Grout and you can get it in pretty small tubs in many colors for under $10.00. You wont need much depending upon how big your box or chest is that you are going to decorate. The color I used was white because it reminded me of the white sandy beaches.

Step 2: Place a gemerous nice thick layer of the grout onto the top of your box, I used my finger actually, you could also use a trowel but I wanted the top to not look smooth and even but rustic and time worn like it was found in a beautiful sea grotto cave. You dont have to stress too much on time, the grout takes a bit to dry. If you are creating a large box though maybe do half the top first and then the other. My box was fairly small so this entire project took me about an hour with some drying time in there as well. You could get really creative and creative beautiful patterns and spiral designs with your seashells and bits & baubles too. *Note: I only decorated the top of my box, if you are planning to decorate all the sides as well, you would do that now.

Step 3: Here is my box top pretty well finished and dusted with a turquoise colored glitter. You will want to do that when the grout is slightly wet.

Step 4: I have a bunch of bronze and rusty decorative pieces that I have picked up over time. The picture above shows some of the options I was thinking about. The little latch that was on the box was bothering me so I removed it and decided to create a more decorative closure. I chose my pieces and set them aside then decided to paint the sides of the box. I chose a sea blue color and I then distressed the edges and paint with a piece of sandpaper and added a little gilded gold rub to the edges as well. You can use crackle paint too for a weathered look or paint it a light color first, let it dry and paint a darker color over it. Once that is dry you can sand off the top layer in some areas to allow the bottom color to show through.

Step 5: Oops, I guess I got a little ahead of myself above! This picture shows you the closure piece I created by just glueing together 3 different pieces of bronze decorative elements. I used the hot glue gun-take it from me, the metal gets hot when you use a HOT glue gun! (Duh Joanna!) Be careful! =)

Step 6: I decided I wanted to extend the grout to the entire lid and place the decorative metal pushed into the grout so it looked like it was meant to be there and not just glued on. This way when the lid is lifted it all looks like it was meant to be this way! Hee Hee! (I meant to do that!)

Step 7: Tah Dah! Here is the final piece all ready to be filled with the goals and dreams for 2009! Have fun everyone!

8 comments:

Shell said...

This is beautiful. I have seashells and the pretty blue gems too. I want to try this, just have to get grout.

Ms Dragonfly said...

so beautiful! i see you are ready for spring! or perhaps winter never came where you are.

woodlandwanderings said...

This is so lovely, makes me long for the ocean and warmer breezes even if it is snowing here today!

Sage Moonstone said...

Very Pretty My Friend... I am in need of a Creative Break Today, so I'm off to get started on my box right now! I'll email you the picture once I'm finished..

Hugs
Sage

Melissa said...

Fantabulous Gorgeous'ness!

Looking forward to the possibilities here.

~Magick~
Melissa

Hibiscus Moon said...

OMG. This is absolutley beautiful! I love mermaids more than anything. I will defintely be making this. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I'll also be follwoing your blog.

Ali said...

what a stunningly beautiful treasure box!

Dream With the Fishes said...

I love this box so much, it's just soooo beautiful!! The sea theme is so very much my thing, being a pisces and all. I definitely want to play along in this project. I'm going to get to work on it this weekend!