Monday

Spirit Journeys Workshop #3

For this months workshop we will be creating what I like to call a Myth Shrine. This month I want you to think of someone that inspires you, or has the qualities you aspire to be in your own life. It could be an ancestor, a loved one, a hero, an athlete, a Deity, or as I chose, a Goddess; Anyone! This is your personal Myth Shrine that you may keep in a special place in your studio or sacred space, there to remind you of the qualities that you admire and to help remind you of your aspirations and spiritual purpose. You may decide to make a couple for a few different people, as each one will be unique and as individual as you. As I have told you since the workshops began, there is no right or wrong way to create anything I offer to show you, just let yourself have fun and dont overthink anything, after all, this is your Myth, your spiritual offering to a beautiful Spirit. Also, I try to create projects that should not cost you much money, in these times, we can use all the help we can get! I know alot of you are like me and have wonderful stashes of goodies in jars, boxes, and chests just waiting to be the perfect adornment for your project. Nature itself is one of our best resources! Dried twigs, leaves, branches, rocks, crystals, moss! Combine it all with the trinkets you already have and you should be able to spend next to nothing!
As you all probably know by now, one of my passions in life is studying the myth, history and folklore of the Ancient Celts. For me, the ancient celtic gods and goddesses are one of my biggest inspirations, they personify such beauty, will, strength, creativity, and healing, that most of my art is in some way touched by their spirit. They are what bring me back to Ireland every year, seeing the ancient sites, stone circles, artwork, the symbols, the craftsmanship and the way they honor the cycles of life, death, and rebirth, it is an ancient beauty to me that my Soul calls out for. For my Myth Shrine, I chose the Celtic Goddess Airmid, the Goddess of the Healing Arts. I chose her because of her healing abilities with our beautiful plant kingdom. I have been working with herbs and flora for over 13 years of my life and I often turn to Airmid for guidance. If you are unfamiliar with her story, I will provide a condensed version below and then proceed to the workshop! Enjoy this workshop everyone and please email me or post me a note with a link if you would like to share your creation, I would love to post it here!
The Next Workshop will be:
March 23 2009

Airmid's father Dian Cecht, jealous because he could not compete with Airmid's brother Miach's surgical skills or Airmid's powers of regeneration, killed his son and confused the herbs that grew from his grave so that mortal humans would not share in the power and immortality of the Gods.

After that, Miach was buried by Dian Cecht, and three hundred and sixty-five herbs grew through the grave, corresponding to the number of his joints and sinews. Then Airmed spread her cloak and uprooted those herbs according to their properties. Dian Cecht came to her and mixed the herbs, so that no one knows their proper healing qualities unless [she] taught them afterwards.

Airmid's herbs, spread upon her cloak, were scattered by her father. Yet Airmid still remembers the powers of the herbs, and can teach us their secrets. Through her, we may learn to use and appreciate the sacred power of plants and healing waters.

Step 1: Choose your Myth Shrine, it could be an altoids tin, a candy tin, even a Tin Nicho or small box or matchbox!

Step 2: Think of who you are creating this shrine to represent, think of colors, textures, quotes, trinkets and treasures. All of this will play into the final feel of your Myth Shrine. I choose to distress and paint the larger metal tin. You will want to use some fine or rough grit sandpaper before applying the paint as it will adhere much better if sanded. After I painted it I rusted the edges and sanded it again for a more earthy and ancient feel.
Step 3: Gather all of those treasure together, even some you may not use, I thought for sure I was going to use that picture frame locket on the front but I had been really wanting to find the perfect creation for that broken vintage flower broach and this was it! I know alot of you are like me, little collectors of bits and baubles that you just hoard and hold onto until the perfect art piece presents itself! LOVE it when that happens! So I used a decorative corner stamp and some Celtic spirals around the edges. I found a lovely Pre-Raphelite picture that I felt would be a beautiful representation of Airmid.
Step 4: Here is a trick with metal that I love: if you have one of those heat guns, hold it over the metal a little closer than you normally would and watch the paint and metal bring forth a lovely burnt look. PLEASE be careful though-the tin gets very HOT! Dont touch for a few minutes after doing this.
Step 5: As Airmid is a Goddess of Healing I broke out the dried flowers, ferns and mosses and also velvet leaves and flowers. As in the story, I knew I wanted one side to represent her cloak and the 365 herbs that were spread upon it. I used raw blue silk for the cloak and used the glue gun to make ripples in it, I then glued the leaves and flowers around the edges. The opposite side holds her image and was glued down with Modge Podge glue. Be sure and have more than you need next to you, things you may not have thought you would use, suddenly become the perfect treasure for your creation.
Step 6: I finished adding the extra flowers, leaves and treasures to the inside now I start on the front. I used Modge Podge once again and added Ferns and Maidenhair Fern to the front. I then printed the name Airmid and placed it within the rusted name plate. The final touch was the broken vintage flower broach.
Step 7: I then added a touch of glitter to the edges and the name plate. (Have to have some glitter!)
The Final Front, AND....
The Final Inside. Enjoy everyone and thank you so much for allowing me to share another workshop with all of you! Have a beautiful evening!
xoxox
Joanna

7 comments:

Lola Enchanted said...

EEEeeekkk, I LOVE it, just LOVE it!!!!! It's so cool how you show us what you've done!!!! Oh I just love it!!! And thanks for stopping by to visit me! I've been wandering what you've been up to lately!!!!!!

Just happy to hear from you my dear!!!!!

Hibiscus Moon said...

This is so pretty and I have several old candy boxes from DH's grandmother that already look very much like this box. Now I just have to decide who I want to honor with this project. Thank you so much for yoru inspiration.

BTW, I notice a sea green, blue theme here. Any reason?

Joanna Rowan Mullane said...

Thank you so much lovely ladies, I am glad you like the workshop and have lots of fun with it! As for the Sea Green/Blue theme, no particular reason other than I love those colors! =)
Have a beautiful day!
Joanna

Baiot3 said...

Hi, I love you site and your insight. I wanted to find out if you know anywhere that I can buy a statue or figurine of Cailleach. Thanks so much, Carol

CEDAR JUNCTION said...

I am so glad that I happened upon your blog - such a lovely treat!!

smiles,
Teresa

Krissy Laine said...

What a beautiful job you did! :)

webspinnerfey said...

I Love This! What an amazing project. It's small enough that I know I can do it despite the hectic realities of life. Very inspirational and creative and spiritual.