Monday

Ireland...Calling Me Home

The time is nearly upon us when we start planning our yearly trip back home...back to Ireland. A few nights ago I had the map and all of my books out-plotting the course of where we would visit new this time and which of our favorite places would we lovingly visit once again. As I sat their scribbling down notes, one of my favorite songs by Loreena McKennitt started playing on my ipod-The Old Ways. If you have never heard this song, PLEASE go to Itunes right now and play it...(go ahead, I will wait for you). The first time I heard that song it made me cry and not just a few tears, we are talking borderline sobbing here! Every once in a while it still hits my soul in a certain way and I cry again, even though I have heard it many, many times now. It is not a new song, but if you have never heard it, it will be new for you! So after the song was done I had a strong desire to break out the paints and this lovely Irish lady was what came through. The words written around her say: The thundering waves are calling me home...home to you.
I thought I would add the complete song lyrics below, it is one thing to hear the song and another to read them as if it was a poem-just beautiful.

The thundering waves are calling me home to you
The pounding sea is calling me home to you

On a dark new year's night
On the west coast of Clare
I heard your voice singing
Your eyes danced the song
Your hands played the tune
T'was a vision before me.

We left the music behind and the dance carried on
As we stole away to the seashore
We smelt the brine, felt the wind in our hair
And with sadness you paused.

Suddenly I knew that you'd have to go
My world was not yours, your eyes told me so
Yet it was there I felt the crossroads of time
And I wondered why.

As we cast our gaze on the tumbling sea
A vision came o'er me
Of thundering hooves and beating wings
In clouds above.

As you turned to go I heard you call my name,
You were like a bird in a cage spreading its wings to fly
"The old ways are lost," you sang as you flew
And I wondered why.


Have a lovely evening!
Joanna

No comments: