Sunday

A Nature Altar...

Last night I was working in my journal and doing a little brainstorming for the direction in which my life is flowing, I was writing down goals and dreams not just for the future but now. Trusting the Universe has always been a struggle for me, trusting that Spirit knows exactly what I need and that everything is perfect just as it is now-even when I cant see it or dont want to believe it. I am learning to trust the flow of life and not go against the current, I lose my perspective and miss the opportunities or lessons that are right in front of me. Patience has never been one of my strongest qualities and it is something I am working on-slowing down, allowing my Spirit to float down the river in a stream of bliss instead of gasping for air the whole way down.

In all of those thoughts as I was working in my Medicine Journal I realized an important part of me that I had stopped honoring-my Altar, a space set aside for me to reflect, honor and feel my connection to Nature and all that is. I started crying realizing how much I have not been connecting with her, how in that respect, I was fighting that current again of who I am. By not honoring Nature and all of its beauty, I was not honoring myself and my own well being-I was not honoring my own healing journey. So this morning I moved things around in the studio to make room for that much needed Sacred Space and set up my Nature Altar.

The thought of Nature represents many things to many people and I love that! Nature can mean Mother Earth, the Goddess in all of her many forms and aspects, the Elements of earth, Air, Fire and Water, and so much more. For me it is the Faeries and the Elements. Ever since I was a little girl I have believed, spoken to and worked with the Faerie Realm and so my Altars of the past have always been adorned with them. I chose to use my large 24" Faery as my focal point and surround her with things of nature; seashells (water), crystals (earth), feathers (air), candles (fire), and incense for (Spirit). Altars are a very personal way for us to connect and help us feel grounded and express gratitude for our many blessings. They can be very small areas such as the top of a small shelf to beautiful and large tabletops, trunks, or shelves. I would like to share with you my Altar on a weekly basis or as I change the items upon it or it's purpose. This weeks purpose for me is healing.
If you have a personal Altar that you would like to share, I would love to see it! Just leave me a comment and I would love to come visit your Altar via your blog!

Wishing you all a day of deep peace and healing,
Joanna

13 comments:

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Your nature altar is just lovely. I don't have an altar, but I have what I call an "inspiration table" filled with faeries, butterflies, candles, artwork and flowers. :) Theresa

Stream Source said...

I'm touched by your honesty. I think it's touching because it's a shared experience. We all know these feelings, quite well.

It reminds me of something a friend said in response to a line in a Rumi poem. I don't recall the exact words but Rumi was lamenting having lost his 'beloved' (his connection to God)- 'she' was no where to be found. My friend said, something unexpected that resonated with me and so I try to always remember this when I'm feeling 'distant' from Source... He said sometimes the beloved goes far away so that we will pursue 'her' more deeply. We can feel sad but then rejoice because when we are returned to "her' our bond will be stronger than ever.

Healing blessings to you and to all ~

Miss Meliss said...

You create such amazingly beautiful spaces. This is truly sacred!

I often get so busy that I forget to consciously connect to The Source. I wish I was better at it....but like with other things I've found, perhaps as I grow older, I'll get better at it.

~magick~
Melissa

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Love to you, just came here to say you are brave and good. I am proud to know your strength. Blessings.

Stace said...

I have a personal altar too, and I often go through what you might call fallow periods with it, where I do little more than dust it off every few weeks. It's so hard, sometimes, to find the time to balance all the needs in our lives...something as ineffable as spirituality is easy to forget.

Joanna Rowan Mullane said...

Thank you so much Theresa! An inspiration table sounds wonderful, no matter what you call it, what is important is that it is special to you! Thank you so much for the comment my friend. Have a lovely evening.
Joanna

Joanna Rowan Mullane said...

Thank you Stream Source for sharing those beautiful words with me. That truly touched me and I am very thankful for your words. Have a lovely evening,
Joanna

Joanna Rowan Mullane said...

Hi sweet Meliss, thank you so much for your dear comment! I completely understand and that is exactly why I felt I needed to share it because we all get busy, we cant help that. Just as I am learning my sweets, everything happens in perfect time, there is no getting better at it as we get older, you are perfect at this very moment NOW and you will always be that way as everyone else is. With love,
Joanna

Joanna Rowan Mullane said...

Dearest Amy, thank you so much for your wonderful comment, you brighten my day and my spirits and I am better just for knowing you.
With love,
Joanna

Joanna Rowan Mullane said...

Hi Stace! I understand, and I know I have set a big goal for myself to change it every week and share it with all of you, life happens and we get busy, distracted, but I have to do this for me and to show my gratitude in some way even if it is a small step now. With love,
Joanna

Shell said...

Your altar is beautiful! Makes me want to redo my own altar.

Debby said...

Hi Joanna,

I couldn't find an email for you, dropping you a note to let you know your won my OWOH prize. Please contact me with you address.
Thanks,
debby

Ria said...

Dear Joanna........
I couldn't find your email address, so I just put it here.

I think you are going to be very happy to read this :

http://rnirwana.blogspot.com/2010/02/magic-carpet-has-landed.html

Soooo......my dear friend....
I need your postal address...where I can send the gift to land in front of your door steps.
And if you prefer one gift of your choice from the three gifts I offered, please tell me a.s.a.p. before other winners pick it (first come first served, I promised)

I will come by to your blog often, dear.....hope we can be blogger buddies in no time :)


Hugggs,

Ria Nirwana
http://rnirwana.blogspot.com